502 Bad Gateway
If it is possible to flee the area safely and avoid danger, do so.
If it is safe to do so, consider:
- Escaping out of the other side of the building.
- Do not attempt to flee if the shooter is between you and your escape. If you are unsure, do not attempt to flee.
About Hiding in Place
If it is not possible to flee the area safely:
- Go dark. Turn off all the lights.
- Lock all windows and doors and secure yourself in your space.
- Barricade the entrance if possible (heavy furniture, etc.)
- Prepare to counter the attacker. Don't just hide and wait.
- Develop a plan (have items to throw...laptops, chairs, etc.)
About Notifying Others
Alert the police, and alert others in your building or nearby if possible.
Dial 9-1-1 [or (510) 642-3333 via cell] to notify police and give your location, if that seems practical.
Do not pull the fire alarm because it will provide the shooter with more opportunities to cause harm.
If the shooter comes into your room or office
- There is no one procedure can be recommended in this situation.
- Attempting to negotiate with the individual may be very dangerous.